This how to will show up how to compile kernel manually (which include ft1000 driver). This is just how to which works for me (tested on ubuntu 10.04). I’m not responsible for you break PCs . Be careful!
1. download latest kernel (www.kernel.org) and untar to /usr/src
2. make oldnoconfig (create config but new options will no (N) by default)
3. make menuconfig (select ft1000 driver in staging/drivers like M – module)
4. make (take some time )
5. make install (must be root)
6. make modules_install (must be root)
7. mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-2.6.37-rc5 2.6.37-rc5 (numbers depend on kernel version)
8. update /boot/grub/grub.cfg (for grup2) or /boot/grub/menu.lst (for grub) (create new entry for new kernel and initrd)
example for grub2: here
10. cp drivers/staging/ft1000/ft1000-usb/ft3000.img /lib/firmware/ (must be root)
11. make headers_install (optional)
Thats all. Reboot and enjoy your new kernel with ft1000 driver. Just plug your device and enjoy . Tested on 2.6.37-rc5. If not sure just wait till 2.6.37 will be released if you don’t want use non stable kernel.